Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  8:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Music of Yrjo Kilpinen

In a message dated 01/09/2002 12:38:03 AM Central Standard Time,
craigtompkins@t... writes:

<< It is an entirely phonetic vowel oriented language, every letter has one
sound, and every letter is pronounce >>

I agree, and I'm enjoying singing what I've got in my possession (the
Kanteletar). My mother is Estonian, so I heard a lot of Finnish-like
language growing up - although my Estonian is limited to: "tuula siia",
"minna vaika tuetrike", "minna armastan sinn" and "keesu meesu leesu," which
roughly translated (after that very rough spelling!) means:

1. Come here
2. I'm your little girl
3. I love you.
4. My cat's name is Lisa.

Four phrases that will not get me far in downtown Tallinn... or maybe they
would...

Thanks for the songs -- the Madison connection for the music is having
trouble getting copies, so I may be picking your brain again. Apparently I
am not the only one having problems getting the music, so I figure I can list
your suggestions as "pending review of the score" on my application (due next
Tuesday). Now if only I can keep this cold from getting into my chest until
after Thursday, when I'm making the tape of the rep I have...

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com