Vocalist.org archive

From:  Vicki Bryant <MezzoNotte@e...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  3:55 am
Subject:  Joao Gilberto

Tuesday, January 08, 2002, 9:27:18 PM, Caio wrote:

CR> And you probably don't know Jair Rodrigues recorded the first rap ever in
the 60's, or what it means growing up listening to Tom Jobim ( whose songs
Frank Sinatra so much appreciated ), Joćo
CR> Gilberto, Ivan Lins, Duo Assad, Chico Buarque, Djavan or Caetano Veloso (
they have made songs that were recorded by American artists but you must still
think they're American stuff), os
CR> Mutantes, or sharing the same nationality with Villa-Lobos ( who knows he's
now re-born as an American ) or Bidu Saićo.

I completely refuse to enter the conversation from whence this
sentence emerged.

However, I have been engrossed in a fabulous book entitled "Bossa
Nova" by Ruy Castro, and ever since beginning it, I've been puzzled as
to how to pronounce Joćo Gilberto's first name, as I'm not completely
versed in Portuguese pronunciation. Since his name has come up, would
someone who knows please let me know? (It's been driving me crazy).

Vicki Bryant, bossa nova fan mailto:MezzoNotte@e...
Naperville, IL
http://home.earthlink.net/~mbryantsprint/biography.htm

emusic.com