Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  1:35 am
Subject:  CELEBRITY AND MORTALITY

Mike:

>i couldn't care any less what you say about the beatles or, anyone else.

Finally, someone's just said something that makes sense.

>the point you seem to be making, that i disagree with, is that there is
something inherently better about some arts over others.

Not inherently. Comparatively, yes. Or isn't Western music, for instance, better
than music based on the pentatonic scale. Don't you think Shakespeare could
write better than... well... me?!

> you seem to have bought into some elitest notion that there can be a hierarchy
of tastes (italian furniture over star trek furniture or, woody allen over
buffy).

Yes, but we'd have to delve into the notion of "elite" to get that straight. I
know it's a trace of the American culture, and growingly a worldwide notion,
that an "elite" is something bad, mostly because it's mistakenly interpreted as
"social class" issue. An elite is a group of people that stands out by
understanding, keeping and, when possible, developing our culture. Bach is part
of the Western culture elite as a "developer". Bruce Dickinson is not. I could
even say our co-lister Lloyd is at an "understander" and keeper of the art of
singing. Most of us here are "dischargable" ( EXCLUSIVELY IN THAT RESPECT ), but
civilization depends on people like Lloyd, Bach, Einstein, etc. They're the ones
who keep the wheels turning ( Bach and Einstein speeded them up ).

Regarding the Beatles, they may have speeded up the wheel of pop music, but in
the big picture I have no doubt they helped turn it back ( but that is not what
I was discussing and I don't see any point in discussing that here, btw ).

> if
i had to categorize it, you seem to hold that which is accepted by academia,
in higher regard than that which is shunned by academia. additionally, you
seem to be asking us to accept this as a given rather than giving us an
argument as to why we should.

Well... here we'd have to discuss another issue, which I think does not fit on
this list: how much academia represents the elite nowadays, or if hasn't been
taken up by the rebelled mass.

>if you want to look at complexity and excellence in construction as the
litmus test for the value of an art, consider the twinkie and the nuclear
weapon. if i'm hungry, i'd rather have the twinkie (maybe someone should
point this out to india and pakistan).
First, what a hack is a twinkie?? I could only find that word in my American
slang dictionary as "a cute, teenage girl ( California )". Do you mean
pedophilia might solve their imbroglio?? Never thought of that...

>if i want to be entertained, i'll take the sex pistols over the st. matthew
passion, anytime. the excellence
of the latter's construction is not enough to do the trick.

The Sex Pistols' kind of music may be reproduced by any 10-year-old kid after 2
guitar classes. The same is not true for the St. Matthew Passion. The latter is
the result of our civilization's effort, while the former is the assumed and
militant expression of its denial.

>accepting elitist standards without reason, is no better than exhaulting
the beatles beyond reason.

Without reason? How can you assume that? You may not agree with my reasons, but
never say I don't have any.

> 'revolver' is one of the best albums ever, not
because it is, but, because i think so. show me that i don't!

You sure do THINK 'Revolver' is one of the best albums ever. But you're wrong!
It's one of the albums you MOST LIKE.

Bye,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16314 Re: CELEBRITY AND MORTALITYGreypins@a...   Wed  1/9/2002
16316 Re: CELEBRITY AND MORTALITYbuzzcen@a...   Wed  1/9/2002
16319 Re: CELEBRITY AND MORTALITYCaio Rossi   Wed  1/9/2002
16321 Re: CELEBRITY AND MORTALITYbuzzcen@a...   Wed  1/9/2002

emusic.com