Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  8:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

John:
> As a Beatlemaniac I've been watching this thread with great interest.
> I could go on at great length about how the Beatles have been, and
> continue to be, inspirational to me, how I love the variety of styles
> incorporated in their music, how I love so many of the songs, and how
> I love the arrangements, but I know that I'd never change your mind,
> Caio.

I told you guys... here it comes again: "You're not prepared to see the Light.
Some find the Truth through the way of Love, some through that of suffering"!
That's creepy!

> What puzzles me is not that you or anyone else doesn't enjoy
> them as much as I do. I'm puzzled instead by how anybody could be so
> AGAINST them. I understand how one could have such a feeling about
> groups whose message is full of hate, but the Beatles? If nothing
> else they were certainly likeable ("wonderful youngsters", according
> to Ed Sullivan). So when you say that you DETEST them I am puzzled.

Well, there are many approaches to detesting them. As a big coincidence, I'm
re-reading a book by a famous Brazilian journalist, late Paulo Francis, and he
presents two reasons why to detest them. I'll translate them:

"All the Beatles hated Brian Epstein, and he despised them for being too noisy.
But the Beatles and Epstein saw together the chance to get rich. The Beatles
knew they were selling themselves out to promote the "family entertainment"
alternative to the much more authentic and dangerous ( to the bourgeoisie ) fury
of the Rolling Stones."

I should add: that's what any serious analysis of what the Beatles represented
in the 60's leads us too. And I wouldn't consider going from a boy band to
Rajneesh's and Crowley's followers an "evolution". That was a sociological
analysis of the Beatles ( the kind of analysis most people like to do, referring
to their "socialogical importance" ). Now, this is Francis's cultural analysis
of them (oh... you'll hate me! hehe Please, don't take this personally ):

"Another day, at the movies, I listened to the whole of "Help" for the first
time. Is it conceivable that someone would compose such a thing at Mozart's
time? That person would starve to death, or be arrested for public disturbance.
Thus, that kind of people would be on farms cleaning horses' c.... Nowadays,
they've taken up stages and microphones. Mozart ate with the servants. Mick
Jagger owns a castle in France. What a sad mistake!"

( Paulo Francis was (IN)famous for his ironic comments, as you must have
noticed. One of the funniest in that book is on Pavarotti and Björling: "Buy one
of Jussi Björling's cds and then listen to Pavarotti's. Björling is pheasant.
Pavarotti is mortadela". hehe )

> think I would have a hard time finding a group whose music I detested
> (I would save such a strong word for someone like Robert Gallo). So
> what is it that you detest?

Probably everything that you like! But, AGAIN, THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

Best wishes,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16302 Re: Celebrity and MortalityJohn Link   Tue  1/8/2002

emusic.com