Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  7:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

Caio:

> > So tell me: besides their "sociological importance", what good qualities do
> > you see in the Beatles that makes them deserve being listened to by people
> > who despise those artists I mentioned above? I've been asking Beatlemaniacs
> > that question for years but I've never gotten a rational answer.

Randy:

> The Beatles revolutionized pop music on a mass level by bringing in
> influences and sounds that have never been heard before on such a large
> level. There impact and influence can still be heard today. They also were
> a very important part of a movement that put the singer/songwriter at the
> forefront which is still the benchmark for credibility ... that is why bsb,
> etc., don't have any.

Randy, again, that's sociological/historical importance, not musical. Hitler was
much more influential but I don't see how he could be reverenced.

Many artists and bands have done much more than they have in mixing different
influences eversince, so they should logically have more prestigy. Although I
doubt the Beatles became popular or even more popular AFTER they became more
serious, and not the opposite, what would destroy your argument, but assuming
you're right, you could only explain why they were so popular THEN, not now that
many other artists have mixed everything you can imagine... but don't have half
of their popularity.

And I don't believe most people who appreciate them can recognize those
influences and, if they could, they would have also noticed them in other
artists and would appreciate them as much or even more... but they don't.

Last, but not least, what I'm saying is not much different from what John Lennon
himself said in an interview published by the Rolling Stones a year or more ago.
Which Beatlemanic dares to discuss with "the man"??? hehe

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16289 Calling all BeatlemaniacsJohn Link   Tue  1/8/2002

emusic.com