Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Sun Jan 6, 2002  7:31 pm
Subject:  re: Raised larynx, Crowded throat

Virginia wrote:

>She's definitely a lyric (lovely silvery quality) but everytime she gets up
>there in her range (from around E to A flat) she seems to slam down on the
>back of her tongue, and her larynx looks like it's going to pop out in
>between her eyes (ouch!) producing a strangled, shrill sound and
>subsequently gets fatigued easily. Major problem....

In addition to the other excellent suggestions (Sharon, I especially like
the friendly reminder that the problem is SOLVABLE!), you might consider
incorporating some full-body strategies, like the following:

1. Have her bend her knees as she goes up in pitch. Deep pliés can
sometimes hook us into a deeper level of breath support.

2. Bend forward at the waist and sing the passages. It's much harder to
do those unhelpful "extra" things when you're upside down!

3. Have her lift her arms up out to the sides, as if she is spreading her
wings -- again this can help deepen the breath connection.

It might also be useful to experiment with speaking on pitch. This works
for some people, in terms of deactivating the habitual tensions of
capital-s Singing. In turn, it can lead to a simpler way of producing the
sound.

Best of luck!
Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com