Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  11:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "s" in Jesus

At 02:38 PM 5/15/00 -0700, natural@w... wrote:

>I know for a fact that all h's were sounded in classical latin, <snip>

Ah, but there's the rub - the difference between classical & ecclesiastical
Latin. The Wall book (and most other singer's diction books) trace their
roots to a standard resource (the"Bible," if you will) of church Latin
(sorry, I'm at home and all my diction resources are at school - just
finished giving a final in it). That said, I've worked with *many* a
choral director who modifies those rules at will, perhaps for more legato,
perhaps for vocal/technical reasons, perhaps to emphasize or de-emphasize
text, sometimes for reasons I couldn't comprehend.

Leslie J.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1626 Re: "s" in Jesus natural@w...   Tue  5/16/2000   3 KB

emusic.com