Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Jan 4, 2002  7:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

Caio posted an article:
He dabbled in Hinduism and adopted an air of profundity that never bore
fruit in his work; his pseudo-spiritual song "My Sweet Lord," far from
expressing depths of Eastern mysticism, was such an obvious rip-off of the
old Motown hit "He's So Fine" that I wasn't surprised when he was
successfully sued for copyright violation.

Well, let's see.... I'm pretty sure that the Chiffons didn't record for
Motown; they were in Phil Spector's stable. And missing an easy-to-check
fact like that makes the rest of the article suspect.

I don't thing George Harrison ever claimed to be a fine singer, but he did
create some amazing guitar licks. And I don't think saying so takes
anything away from Nat Cole's reputation-- which certainly hasn't suffered
in the intervening years. I was in the CD section of a Borders Book Store
last night (spent $40 I didn't have on Rosemary Clooney and classic R&B),
and there were at least as many Nat Cole recordings in stock as Beatles. If
not more!

Liz