Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Jan 4, 2002  3:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

Dear GWendo and Vocalsiters:

You wrote:
"I've made some significant progress with my new teacher, and yet, it was/is a
common occurance during my work with him that I came/come to realize what my
first teacher was trying to get me to do [ie. "Oh, THAT's what she meant."].
He just used a different set of keys than she did. And I still occasionally
refer prospective students to her. After all, their locks are different than
>mine."

Sage words indeed! We often learn best from a duplicate viewpoint.

I would add that we only learn when we are ready to learn. In that
sense, "teacher" is a false noun. "Guide" would be more accurate
because it implies that the balance of the accomplishment of learning
is the responsibility of the student.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

emusic.com