Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Jan 4, 2002  1:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

Dear Karen and Vocalisters:

Thank you for your most informative and vulnerable comments about the
process of changing teachers. I applaud you for your honesty.

Just a thought. Because a students study of voice is, basically, a
one-on-one relationship with the teacher, it is of primary importance
that the student be comfortable with that
relationship. There is a lot of similarity between the relationship
with a voice teacher and the relationship of a patient with his/her
therapist. It is important that the student is convinced a positive
situation is in effect, one that supports the student and believes in
the students potential. And it is the responsibly of the teacher to
convey that confidence to the student.

We, as voice teachers, are not able to be everything to every
student. It is most common for a student to find a teacher that does
not me his/her needs. A look for another teacher in this situation
is a natural result. I know of few voice teachers worth their salt
who would not encourage an unsatisfied student to find another
teacher. In addition, it is the obligation of a voice teacher to be
an encouraging influence in the development of the student, even if
that means the student should be studying with somebody else.

There is little need for ego if one teachers voice. But ego often
become the reason for teaching voice.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

emusic.com