Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  6:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

In a message dated 01/02/2002 10:41:04 PM Central Standard Time,
drama_diva_au@y... writes:

<< I always strive to find different ways of communicating my point, and am
a diehard fan of the positive reinforcement school of teaching. I refuse to
focus on the negative. I find my students are experts at that to start with,
so there is no need for me to add to it. I prefer to ALWAYS point out what
is excellent and then go over what needs improving, either with a current
technique or if that isn't working by trying something new.

I agree with you totally, but as a teacher and as a student. For beginning
students, I think it takes some time to determine whether a teacher is right
for you, and to get used to his/her way of experessing him/herself. As an
adult student with a lot of experience, however, I think I've become familiar
with enough styles of communication and vocal pedagogy to know what works for
me. The fastest way to send me screaming into the night is to give me
technique that violates basic vocal pedagogy. The 2nd fastest way is to give
me completely negative feedback. I don't expect to be petted and cossetted
and not given accurate criticism... but I know my strengths as well, and I
like them to be recognized.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

Jingle-tingle, jingle-tingle, jingle-tingle, jingle-tingle ... yoo-hoo,
yoo-hoo.
(Alto part from SATB arrangement of "Sleigh Ride")

emusic.com