Vocalist.org archive

From:  "drama_diva_au" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  5:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Some tips on dealing with an audience please!

In a primarily classical recital I am in agreeance with you Karen,
Indeed, isn't that what programme notes are for? When I was studying
a major part of our assessment was to provide good programme notes
for any recital work undertaken, particularly for finals assessment.
To me programme notes, usually including a decent translation for
songs in foreign languages, are an essential part of an excellent
recital. I find it disturbing to the setting of mood and character to
have a singer break out of mood and address the audience, in the
classical recital context. (Especially the song cycle, could you
imagine Winterreisse or Frauenliebe und Leben with chat in between?
Arghk!)

In a contemporary context however, that is entirely different. At one
of the Unis here, it is mandatory to be able to "chat with the
audience" in between songs as part of their assessment in Jazz
performance! Polar opposites yes?

~Michelle

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16177 Re: Some tips on dealing with an audience please!Jennifer   Thu  1/3/2002

emusic.com