Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  3:31 am
Subject:  Re: Some tips on dealing with an audience please!

??? wrote:

> I am sometimes at a loss for words
>between songs. Will this improve with time or are there some things I
>can do to learn how to be a better performer? Are there books on the
>subject of performing live? Any performance coaches out there? >>

and Karen responded:

>There was once a time when the singer wasn't expected to say ANYTHING
>between songs, sets, arias, etc. in recital or concert. Oh for the good
>old days, when a bit of formality was not just welcome, but expected!

I agree with your points, Karen, but for some reason I had assumed that the
original poster was working in a non-classical genre, in which case it is
more appropriate (and in fact expected) that the singer will speak as well
as sing. (Or maybe I misunderstood your intention, Karen, and you were
using the original post as a jumping-off point, in which case I apologize
for being overly literal!)

To attempt to answer the original post, I would echo Judy's suggestion of
practicing some repartee so it feels comfortable to say. If you tell us
the genre in which you were working, someone could probably also recommend
some books that would familiarize you with standard performance practice.
But the main way you will learn to be comfortable with an audience is to
keep performing! You must be doing it well already if you are having to
field compliments from the audience!

Regardless of genre, the performance thing is often tricky psychologically,
especially for a beginner. Not to worry.

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com