Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  3:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

In a message dated 1/2/02 9:09:15 PM, csdonnell@m... writes:

<<
Her post was clear and, to my reading, exhibited no "attitude" whatsoever. >>

While I have on occasion taken Karen to task, I agreee that there was nothing
in this post that was at all off base. I think she was offering some helpful
and valuable advice.

On the other hand, I think that Bart had some legitimate points, not about
Karen herself but about the relationship that some singers have with their
voice teachers. It can be a very complex relationship indeed!

Even with a fantastic teacher, it's possible to reach a point where things
are no longer as productive as they could be. This does not necessarily mean
that the student is servile or the teacher is somehow failing.

I once had an absolutely superb teacher (who has since died) that I really
grew to love--and as the relationship became closer, the teaching somehow
quietly slipped into the background. Looking back, I can see a number of
reasons why it happened, and realize that I was to blame as much as my
teacher.

In my case, the encouragement that I received was wonderful, but I eventually
realized that something was missing from my technique and I did not know what
it was.

When she passed away and I found another teacher, whose method of teaching
was almost a polar opposite, and difficult to accept at first, although I
knew that I was on the right track. I mastered my problems, but only when I
took 100% responsibility for making it happen. Also, a key difference between
my two teachers is that my present teacher lets me know exactly what my
shortcomings are, and what I need to do to overcome them. (She also gives
encouragement, but somehow that is less effective from her.) My former
teacher was very light on criticism, although she would tell me what she
didn't like.

Now that I'm really singing better than ever, I miss my first teacher more
than ever. She was really an extraordinary artist and knew how to inspire her
students to really expressive singing. I swear that she could get a rock to
sing--and beautifully!

Judy

emusic.com