Vocalist.org archive

From:  <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  11:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Some tips on dealing with an audience please!

Karen wrote:
<<There was once a time when the singer wasn't expected to say ANYTHING between
songs, sets, arias, etc. in recital or concert. Oh for the good old days, when a
bit of formality was not just welcome, but expected!Even in these days of
"chatty" recitals, there are still times when spoken comments between songs/sets
aren't just unnecessary but are downright inappropriate. >>

I know what you mean. I attended a fantastic *free* recital at the National
Gallery just before Christmas given by dramatic soprano Alessandra Marc (lucky
for us, she lives in the DC area!).

She did not say a word during the recital - texts for the songs in German were
in the program - and audience was totally enthralled. I think the only time she
spoke was to introduce a Christmas song medley that wasn't specified in the
program, and to say who had arranged it, and that he was her close friend of
long-standing.

(During the "curtain" call, her daughter ran up to her out of the audience, and
gave her a big hug.)

I don't do reviews here, but that really was a wonderful recital. The space is
VERY resonant, and she has a huge dramatic voice (She sang Turandot last season
at The Washington Opera). But she was able to scale her voice back to suit the
sapce, and to sing pianissimo when the music called for it, never losing any of
the beauty of her tone. I was so impressed with her technique and her vocal
artistry. (It's so rare to hear a dramatic soprano who doesn't have a humongous
wide vibrato.) She sang Handel, Purcell, Brahms, R. Strauss, Copland, Barber,
and one other I can't remember.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...