Vocalist.org archive

From:  "tidwellchristy" <tidwellc@e...>
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  8:18 pm
Subject:  Re: genre?

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., John Link <johnlink@n...> wrote:

> My personal artistic goal is to sing in a way (and to have my vocal
> quintet sing in a way) that is free of the complusions of the genre
> in which the composition is categorized. This means to sing jazz,
> classical, folk, and bluegrass music without ever sounding like a
> jazz, classical, folk, or bluegrass singer. I believe that this is
> the only way to have a repertoire that includes music from all
those
> genres and sound convincing rather than foolish. I also think that
it
> is the most satisfying way to perform even if one always stays
within
> a single genre.

What do you mean? How is this done? What do you and your singers
end up sounding like when singing jazz, for instance? If not a jazz
singer doing jazz, then what? A classical singer, a folk singer, or
some kind of combination?

It sounds like you're claiming the best policy is to ignore the
conventions of genre in order to perform within the genre
successfully. If this is not what you meant, please clarify, but if
this IS what you meant, I do not see how this could lead to a
convincing rather than foolish performance.

Christy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16139 Re: genre?John Link   Wed  1/2/2002

emusic.com