Vocalist.org archive

From:  Bart <bart@l...>
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  6:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

Well, Karen, I hate to say, your shopping-around-for-teachers attitude is
to me nothing but the telltale sign of a self-indulging want of
self-confidence ! You might feel at ease right now with your new voice
shrink, and still the same old balks are bound to come in the way at some
point, as long as you haven't truly brushed them aside once for all.
Remember : a vocal coach takes money from you. Imagine you were a pauper.
Could you afford to focus that much on your own flaws, or would you rather
bank on what you are, no matter how good or bad, to achieve something in
life ? Don't you think it's a bit of a luxury, of a wealthy idleness, to be
so picky, so fussy, about people whose main onus you decide is to fill the
gaps in your well-groomed little self ? I daresay this unfortunately
verges on indecency towards people coming from tougher walks of life, yet
seriously committed to their goal, art, craft, whatever you call it. Also,
I found it rather careless from you to gauge teachers according to their
promptitude to respond to your own pattern of concerns, as if you were
denying them the validity of their own often lifelong experience. You might
be the one who sets the goals, calls the shots for yourself, then roughly
speaking it's not a teacher you need : it's a mirror (or any sound
recording device). Now if you really feel you must undergo the inescapably
painstaking process of blindly following a Master's instructions, because
he or she is a million times better than you in what you're craving for,
then go for it, humbly play your disciple's part, that is, provisionally
shush this interloping critical mind of yours, yes, stupidly ape your
paragon, until the time is ripe for full-fledged launching, and thank your
patient, lenient Master or any God you trust in for so mercifully endowing
you with such precious knowledge ! You can't be master and disciple, or
(cheer)leader and (cheered-up)follower at the same time. So much for
dillydallying !
Wishing you the very best, though
Bart

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16143 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)Karen Mercedes   Wed  1/2/2002
16144 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)Karen Mercedes   Wed  1/2/2002
16154 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)Cynthia Donnell   Thu  1/3/2002
16155 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)sopran@a...   Thu  1/3/2002
16165 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)drama_diva_au   Thu  1/3/2002
16178 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)Bart   Thu  1/3/2002
16179 Re: Barytenore in B flatBart   Thu  1/3/2002
16183 Re: Changing TeachersLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/3/2002
16197 Re: Changing TeachersIsabelle Bracamonte   Fri  1/4/2002

emusic.com