Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  6:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Regarding the Am I a tenor or bass-baritone question

mike wrote:

>In a message dated 1/2/2002 1:05:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>johnlink@n... writes:
>
><< And then through training and categorization we attempt to make them the
>same?
> >>

> that certainly isn't my idea of singing.

Nor mine, but perhaps my tone of voice did not come through.

> my idea of singing is to bring
>an individual's characteristics, as expressed through their speaking voice,
>to their singing.

Two out of two.

> this is not the only approach to singing, certainly, but
>it is the approach to singing that has ultimately lead me away from classical
>singing which, i view as being totally different, for the most part.

Yer out! (I mean, home run!)

My personal artistic goal is to sing in a way (and to have my vocal
quintet sing in a way) that is free of the complusions of the genre
in which the composition is categorized. This means to sing jazz,
classical, folk, and bluegrass music without ever sounding like a
jazz, classical, folk, or bluegrass singer. I believe that this is
the only way to have a repertoire that includes music from all those
genres and sound convincing rather than foolish. I also think that it
is the most satisfying way to perform even if one always stays within
a single genre.

John Link

Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16137 Re: genre?tidwellchristy   Wed  1/2/2002
16139 Re: genre?John Link   Wed  1/2/2002

emusic.com