Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  4:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Helden Bariton

On Sat, 13 May 2000 salparron@a... wrote:

> I am a singer based in Barcelona. I have been asked to write some
> articles about voice categories. Could someone give me any ideas
> where to find information about the Helden Baritone voice, if such
> categorie really exists!. Thanks.

The German Heldenbariton seems to equate pretty directly to the Italian
Dramatic Baritone. He sings roles like Balstrode in PETER GRIMES, Tonio
in I PAGLIACCI, Boris Godunov, Scarpia in TOSCA, Oreste in ELEKTRA,
Jochanaan in SALOME, Macbeth, Nabucco, Amonasro, Philip II in DON CARLO,
Simon Boccanegra, (and, one would expect, Iago - though it's not on the
list of examples), and in Wagner the Hollaender, Telramund in LOHENGRIN,
Kurwenal in TRISTAN, Sachs in DIE MEISTERSINGER, Wotan/Wanderer, and
Amfortas in PARSIFAL. Interestingly, Giulio Cesare, when sung by a
baritone rather than a mezzosoprano, is listed as a Heldenbariton role.

Karen Mercedes
-----
Ich singe, wie der Vogel singt,
Der in den Zweigen wohnet;