Vocalist.org archive

From:  Melanie <mkkuolt@s...>
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  2:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "s" in Jesus

According to "Diction for Singers" (Wall,Gavilanes,Allen)

The letter h is always silent in Latin, except for two irregular wods
listed under Exceptions)

Ho-san-na [open o zan: na]
ho-di-e [open o di E]
ho-mi-ni-bus [open o mi ni bus]

Exceptions: In these two words, h is pronounced [k]. In ancient
manuscripts these words were spelled nichel and michi.

ni-hil [ni kil]
mi-hi [mi ki]

so that's what my all trusted diction book says......

Melanie (new to list--first post-- thought I'd just right in!)

>> >There are no silent letters in latin...
>>
>>How about h's, as in "hominibus"?
>
>well, no... h is a pretty important letter in latin - I can't quite
imagine "hodie" or "hic" without the h. Every recorded performance of a
latin text I've ever heard pronounces the h's.

>and yes, maybe .... latin is pronounced differently in different
>locales, and usually it sort of slides in the direction of the prevailing
>language. In countries where h is silent, it may tend to get dropped in
latin too. Is that a correct thing to do? well, it wouldn't be if the aim
was to speak "good latin" - but when the aim is to "do it the way we always
have" then it's better to follow than lead. That's why I suggested doing
as the choir director requested.