Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "dramadiva2002" <dramadiva2002@y...>
"dramadiva2002" <dramadiva2002@y...>
Date:  Sun Dec 30, 2001  7:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Breathing woes...

Wow, this is really helpful. I have heard variations on this theme
but this particular approach is very helpful for me both as a singer
and a teacher.

I love getting new material for my arsenal. <wink>

Sincerely,
DramaDiva :-)

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Sharon Szymanski" < --- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Sharon Szymanski" < >
> I find the best way to deal with the ribs is to
> find my best singing posture, with everything lined up
> properly, and I usually find thinking about my upper chest
> and my back most useful in achieving this. When I have my
> best posture, the ribs, along with my entire respiratory
> system are ready to do what is necessary to support the
> breath for singing. There are times when I might *think*
> ribs to remind myself of correct posture. But that's not
> the same thing as artificially forcing the ribs (or anything
> else) into a particular position.
>
> Peggy

M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egrou
> pmail/S=1705034266:HM/A=847665/rand=919876466>
>
> I agree that posture can make a huge difference in obtaining and
> maintaing the lovely balance between abdominals that allows optimal
> breath function while singing. Several years ago I came up with a
trick
> that seems to help EVERY singer who tries it. I have them stand
with
> good posture and then raise the arms as though they were going to
> conduct, keeping them bent at the elbows and at about chest height.
> This alone seems to really promote an excellent ribcage position; I
then
> add a simple downward movement of the hands during inhalation
(mimicking
> the fall of the breath into the body) and have them then bring the
hands
> back up to chest level as they prepare to sing. While singing, the
> hands are given a gentle bounce up and down an inch or so; this
seems to
> help maintain the abdominal balance nicely and keep things from
> collapsing, as well as making it almost impossible for the abdominal
> area to be too tight (the actual problem for which I developed
this!).
> The students use these hand movements for as long as they need to in
> practice. When the results without the hands are as good as with
the
> hands, they stop using them. I cannot believe how incredibly well
this
> works for all sorts of breathing issues. Try it! You'll like it!
>
> Sharon Szymanski
> The Szymanski Studio - "encouraging excellence in the vocal arts"

emusic.com