Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sun Dec 30, 2001  3:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Expanding rib cages

Terry wrote:

> I especially have difficulty with my ribs caving in as I exhale and no matter
>how I try to "open" them, it just doesn't work.
>
>Dre also mentioned exercises for this problem. Can anyone recommend some
>exercises, please?

I would suggest reading the book "Dr. Breath" by Carl Stough, who
worked with the 1968 U.S. Olympic team. None of the athletes with
whom he worked needed to use supplementary oxygen in the thin air of
Mexico City.

Here is a lesson, based on the ideas of Carl Stough:

0) Do your best approximation of whatever you understand the
instructions to ask of you, according to your own comfort. Rest
whenever you feel the urge to do so.

1) Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet standing about
shoulder-width apart and close enough to your pelvis to make it
easiest to lift your plevis off the floor.

2) Without attempting to direct your breathing, be aware of when you
are exhaling and when you are inhaling. Notice also when you are
doing neither. Do not attempt to direct your breathing. Where do you
move as you breath? How long does it take to complete one full cycle
of exhalation and inhalation? What is the quality of your breathing?
Do you sometimes hold your breath? Again, do not attempt to direct
your breathing.

3) Stop and rest.

4) Pay attention to your breathing. As you exhale, count quickly from
one to ten and then observe the quality of the inhalation that
follows. Do not attempt to direct your breathing. Just observe it.

5) The next time you exhale, count quickly from one to ten TWICE
without interruption and then observe the quality of your inhalation.
Do not attempt to direct your breathing. Just observe it.

6) The next time you exhale, count quickly from one to ten THREE
TIMES without interruption and then observe the quality of your
inhalation. Do not attempt to direct your breathing. Just observe it.

7) With each exhalation increase the number of times you count from
one to ten without interruption, each time observing the quality of
the inhalation that follows. Do this only to the extent that it is
easy. If you are attempting four sequences of counting one to ten and
you have to stop before you complete four times, then stop. Don't
force yourself to do more than you can easily. Rest whenever you need
to, and then resume the counting when your are ready to do so. Be
sure that you don't attempt to direct your breathing. Let your
breathing tell you when it is time to count, and then let your
inhalation take as much time as it will.

8) Stop and rest.

9) How has your breathing changed? Where do you move as you breath?
How has that changed? How long does it take to complete one full
cycle of exhalation and inhalation? How has that changed? What is the
quality of your breathing? How has that changed?

I would like to read about the experience of anyone doing this
lesson. If there seems to be interest I will post additional, more
elaborate lessons that also use the ideas of Moshe Feldenkrais.

Be well,
John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
16095 Re: Expanding rib cages John Link   Mon  12/31/2001   3 KB

emusic.com