Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sat Dec 29, 2001  1:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone?

Gwendel,

I'm inclined (as usual!) to agree with Mike. My very
fist singing teacher always said that the sound you
give when you sing should surprise the Hell out of
everybody!! In other words, be a million miles away
from your speaking voice! You only need to think of
any great singer: operatic, pop or easy listening, and
they hardly ever sound like you'd expect!

It's pretty obvious that a voice that's unhappy cannot
with any success lie in the wrong 'place' for long:
something will have to give. I would much rather
people said "I'm a singer", and leave it at that! It
all becomes so complicated and, dare I say, boring
trying to compartment everybody!

All the best,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars! O, and baritenor of
course!