Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Fri Dec 28, 2001  5:19 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Breathing woes...

Dear Ian, Dramadiva and co-vocalisters,

Interesting subject.

Of course singing in itself is a breathing exercise as well. I for
myself think sometimes I could use some exercise to widen my ribcage: I
have the feeling it does not always get as wide as I want it to be,
especially in the morning. But I must admit I did not do them at all for
quite a long time.

What really puzzles me: why is it that if I do the exercise, I can
easily do it more than four times longer than singing? (70+ vs. 15-
seconds.) I really don't use more air when singing (except on
fricatives), but whatever I do it, on whatever tessitura or volume, the
result is always this factor 5. I know that no one can sing phrases of
70+ seconds, but what I would like to understand is, why we use so much
air on singing, even when using the 'moist air' principle.

Best greetings,

Dré de Man

emusic.com