Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  3:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Contemporary Arias in English

In a message dated 05/14/2000 4:01:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
LMorgan923@a... writes:

<< For example, I really dislike her Glitter and Be Gay - I find it heavy
and slow and lacking brilliance. But I absolutely love her The Trees on the
Mountain and Ain't It a Pretty Night. >>

Well, G&BG is really no part of her rep ... neither is Dearest Mama (although
I like that better than G&BG). Susannah, OTOH, is a role she counts among
her signature roles.

Dawn Upshaw has an album of American arias that I rarely listen to because
she sings things not of her fach - "What a movie," for example, and "Ain't it
a pretty night," which she would NEVER sing in an opera house (but man, her
diction is clear!!).

Christine Thomas
Mezzo-Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com