Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  11:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Breathing woes...

dramadiva2002 wrote:

However,
> I am totally at a loss to explain why I am unsuccessful at doing that
> slow breathing exercise every singer on the planet does. You know the
> one, the candle exercise, the breath-in till full, blow out slowly,
> moist, warm air, even, etc.... exercise. I have complete beginners
> who walk up to me and can do the exercise for at least 45 seconds.

It sounds like you're anxious about the exercise - the old
self-fulfilling prophecy. The important thing is if you can
*sing* with proper support, who cares whether or not you
succeed at the %*&#($ EXERCISE?

I have a teacher who says the out-of-breath feeling is a
message your body is sending to your brain to breathe, so
you can ignore it for a short while, because you really do
have more air in your lungs. Also, it could be that you're
taking this huge *high* breath when you "tanking up" for the
long-breath exercise, and that's what's making you feel "out
of breath" so soon.

In any event, if you're singing good, it really doesn't
matter.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...