Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  10:44 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Broken Blood Vessel

> I have a broken blood vessel on one vocal fold...You can see a picture
of it at:
> http://brigo.home.mindspring.com

The detail is hard to interpret in the enlargement but this looks like
an overuse problem and the folds look edematous but if the color is
true, it doesn't look all that inflammed as one would see in reflux.

> I am taking a steroid for 10 days to reduce the swelling. I
> am also on 5-7 days of complete voice rest - very hard with a
> 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month old in the house. Besides, I
> can't stay quiet, even when I am by myself, for more than 2
> minutes! (I refer to myself as "oral explosive").

You'll need to decide which it will be: vocal recovery or continued
abuse of your vocal apparatus.

> The doctor says it is very small and within 10 days I should
> be just fine, and experience no long lasting effects.

Probably, if you learn to avoid this in the future.

> Is reflux necessarily chronic? The doc says that as we age
> the valves start to work less well. Will I need to take
> medication always to keep my chords from getting that heavy feeling?

Not necessarily chronic. Being overweight, smoking, large meals,
carbonated beverages can contribute. Persistent reflux can cause more
reflux so acid suppression for a few weeks can give long lasting
reduction in reflux. Lifting and bending can increase it also.

Rest can be a good thing for your voice.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com