Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Brian" <brigo@m...>
"Brian" <brigo@m...>
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  4:26 am
Subject:  Broken Blood Vessel

Hello all.

I have a broken blood vessel on one vocal fold. The doctor described it as
a "leaking" vessel, but I prefer "hemorrhage" because it sounds so much more
dramatic!!! ("SHHHH I can't speak - I'm Hemorrhaging!")

You can see a picture of it at: http://brigo.home.mindspring.com
(I should add here that my training has always been classical singing. The
mp3's on the web site above are from a lifetime ago, and have nothing to do
with my singing!)

I am taking a steroid for 10 days to reduce the swelling. I am also on 5-7
days of complete voice rest - very hard with a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month
old in the house. Besides, I can't stay quiet, even when I am by myself,
for more than 2 minutes! (I refer to myself as "oral explosive").

The doctor says it is very small and within 10 days I should be just fine,
and experience no long lasting effects.

I am interested in hearing from others who have experienced this type of
injury. Was it difficult to resume singing at regular strength? How long
did it take for your to feel completely normal?

The doctor also noticed some swelling around the chords that he thought was
reflux. I experience no symptoms of reflux, but the doctor thought that
there might be some acid getting in there, making the chords heavy. In fact,
I have noticed that my voice has been heavy every day for the past 2 months
or so, but I then I keep catching colds from my 2 1/2 year old! He
perscribed the generic brand of Zantac 150mg for reflux, as well as Humibid
to thin the mucous.

So here are more questions:
Is reflux necessarily chronic? The doc says that as we age the valves start
to work less well. Will I need to take medication always to keep my chords
from getting that heavy feeling?

I know singers who have had this, but they broke a vessel while shoveling
snow or coughing. Are singer's tissues particularly prone to this type of
injury, even while not singing?

It happened to me while singing. I am currently "re-doing" my technique,
which has never been stable despite over 18 years of work. I am finally
learning how to sing lightly, training from the "falsetto and down" (I am
not looking to start a whole thread on that type of training, but anyone who
wants to, be my guest :) ). Anyway, what I think did it is the antagonism
between "keep it very light and breathy for now..." because I am still
learning and "I am singing in front of 300 people RIGHT NOW and I need a
SOUND!"
This push-pull between a louder, more efficient sound and a lighter,
breather sound (that is supposed to become less breathy as I get better at
it) caused me to strain or force at the wrong moment!
Pretty scary to feel your voice leave you as you sing. Something out of an
"anxiety" dream, only this was real.

People's comments, thoughts, and answers are very welcome!

-brian s
===================
Belz School of Jewish Music
Yeshiva University
Instructor and Coach

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
16034 Re: Broken Blood Vessel Ian Belsey   Thu  12/27/2001   6 KB
16036 Re: Broken Blood Vessel buzzcen@a...   Thu  12/27/2001   2 KB
16037 Re: Broken Blood Vessel buzzcen@a...   Thu  12/27/2001   2 KB
16051 Re: Broken Blood Vessel to Randy (mostly) Ian Belsey   Fri  12/28/2001   3 KB
16040 Re: Broken Blood Vessel Mezzoid@a...   Thu  12/27/2001   2 KB
16041 Re: Broken Blood Vessel Greypins@a...   Thu  12/27/2001   2 KB
16043 Re: Broken Blood Vessel John Messmer, M.D.   Thu  12/27/2001   3 KB
16049 Re: Broken Blood Vessel lolipastor@a...   Fri  12/28/2001   2 KB
16050 Re: Broken Blood Vessel Ian Belsey   Fri  12/28/2001   2 KB

emusic.com