Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Wed Dec 26, 2001  5:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] grad school angst again

At 04:35 PM 12/25/01 -0600, Molly McLinden wrote:
>Ok, here is the deal. One of the schools I am very interested in has an
>"optional letter" I can write in where I describe why ..uh..some of my
>academic stuff is the way it is...

Hi Molly,

I am certainly no voice teacher, just another singer, but I do (or at least
*did*) have considerable academic experience, including 3 years on the
admissions committee of a major California medical school. FWIW, then, I
would use this opportunity to express only *positive* experiences, ideals,
goals, aspirations, etc. and describe how the work you have done well serves
those ends. IMO, it would be a mistake to draw further attention to
defects on your record. The admissions committee will already note your
academic weaknesses, and it may hurt to emphasize them further. Rather, if
your statement well outlines the positive aspects of your
studies/experiences, it should be adequately clear that any particular poor
mark will not be an impediment to your ultimate goals; and that you know
where you're heading.

As for me, the only undergrad class I ever failed was Genetics 100. Before
med school, I went on to complete both a MSc and PhD in genetics with full
scholarship.

Hang in there, Molly, and keep on swinging!

GWendel, dT

emusic.com