Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Dec 23, 2001  7:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How to build vocal endurance- Tips wanted for Newbie to group

nfiniti2001 wrote:

> I am an R & B singer with a live band. I have just begun doing pro
> gigs and I am finding it hard to sing as the night goes on due to
> fatigue.
> I have been blowing balloons to build up the accessory chest muscles
> and I am hydating myself well (2-3 liters daily).

Hydrating and steam is good. But I don't think that blowing
balloons is very helpful for a singer. What's important
about the breath in singing is HOW it's managed, not now
HARD you blow. In fact, It think that forcing breath out
(as one does when blowing up a ballon) is the worst thing
for the voice. I've found the good way to think breathing
for singing is letting out your breath slowly, through
pursed lips, counting to a high number slowly, like 20.
Then allow the breath to rush back in to your lungs, all by
itself. Or think of blowing air at a candle flame so softly
and slowly that the flame flickers but doesn't blow out. Or
letting breath flow out as if you were fogging up
eyeglasses before cleaning them with a cloth.

> I also find that the longer I warm up I tend to lose some of my low
> notes. What causes this?

I suspect you're misusing your voice during your warm up.

The best thing is to work a voice teacher - you can be
taught to use your voice in a healthy manner, consistent
with your R&B style of singing you're doing. Even if you
can only find a teacher who works with you on classical-type
music, you can apply what you learn about breath management
to your other singing.

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com