Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Fri Dec 21, 2001  6:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Fantastic audition

Take the job and count yourself lucky!

Why would this be any harder on your voice than
singing in the opera chorus (and if it is, can't you
always not renew?) Plus, being in the opera chorus is
rarely the path to singing roles in the opera and will
not benefit you as much as you may think regarding
contacts, etc.

While you are making your living as a singer in the
tenor group, you will be enhancing your musical
skills, making valuable contacts, and learning volumes
from the experience. Meanwhile, you will still be
able to do all of the development of your operatic
repertoire and skills that you are doing now, so that
when you are ready to start doing some serious
auditioning (not chorus), you will be prepared.

This sounds like a great opportunity, so go for it!
Congratulations! Lucky you!!

--- Mirko Ruckels <mirkoruckels@i...>
wrote:
> [...]
> an incredible lyric
> tenor) came over and introduced himself and asked a
> few questions, and was
> very friendly. This made me feel a lot better.
> When he saw that I was
> singing Dalla sua pace and amor ti vieta, he said
> that I was a very brave
> man.
>
> The first thing I noticed was that my voice sounded
> very dramatic and loud
> compared to theirs. It filled the hall entirely,
> and I enjoyed that feeling
> immensely. It kind of dawned upon in that moment of
> singing dalla sua pace
> that one day I will be singing the big operas. It
> was a sublime moment. A
> moment of clarity. Everything became incredibly
> easy. My throat relaxed,
> and I forgot about the mechanics entirely. It was
> like the song was singing
> itself. I sang like I've never sung before- and was
> enjoying this vast
> sound mingling with the echo in the hall.
>
> When I finished Dalla sua pace, he looked at me in
> disbelief, and said "Oh
> my god! that is huge!" He said that I need to
> audition for the opera
> company immediately, and there's no way I won't get
> in if I sing like that.
>
> I sang amor ti vieta next, which also felt
> incredibly easy. He actually
> stopped the accompanist, and got him to play it a
> semitone higher!! He
> stood there shaking his head as I finished the aria.
> I was as amazed as he
> was.
>
> You have to realise that i've only ever performed
> once before in public
> singing like this (and that was a wedding)- and I'm
> not used to this sort of
> reaction from people, let alone singers. Both times
> I have sung in public
> since I debuted a few months ago (which i have been
> terrified of doing for
> years) I have not only enjoyed myself immensely, but
> have had gobsmacked
> people shaking me by the hand afterwards, so
> naturally, you can imagine how
> excited I am.
>
> I never EVER though I would get this reaction after
> years of negativity and
> struggle.
> Anyway, he asked if I was available later in the
> year, and I'm not sure now
> if I want to do it. They tour constantly, and the
> toll on the voice I
> imagine could be detrimental. What I would rather
> do (now that my path is
> becoming clearer) is audition for the opera chorus
> here, then work towards
> securing roles. I didn't realise just how big my
> voice is, and it just
> seems to fill any space that I sing in. I was
> walking around on a high all
> day yesterday. Today I'm off for another singing
> lesson, with my fabulous
> teacher.
>
> Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so excited by all

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com

emusic.com