Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  " Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
" Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 20, 2001  10:52 pm
Subject:  Fantastic audition

Everyone, here is an **audition experience**

Yesterday, I auditioned for the Ten Tenors,
They're a full-time professional act that performs nationally and
internationally and one of their singers is leaving later this year, so they
have started to audition for a new voice.
I was initially quite daunted when I entered their rehearsal space, (have
you ever sung infront of ten professional tenors??) and I also listened to
them singing some of their work. They are very good.

As i sat there waiting for the clock to hit 1pm, I started feeling
uncertain- is this going to be embarrassing, are they going to screw up
their faces when they hear me sing? I started getting sweaty and nervous.

When I got up to sing, the head tenor, Matt, (who is an incredible lyric
tenor) came over and introduced himself and asked a few questions, and was
very friendly. This made me feel a lot better. When he saw that I was
singing Dalla sua pace and amor ti vieta, he said that I was a very brave
man.

The first thing I noticed was that my voice sounded very dramatic and loud
compared to theirs. It filled the hall entirely, and I enjoyed that feeling
immensely. It kind of dawned upon in that moment of singing dalla sua pace
that one day I will be singing the big operas. It was a sublime moment. A
moment of clarity. Everything became incredibly easy. My throat relaxed,
and I forgot about the mechanics entirely. It was like the song was singing
itself. I sang like I've never sung before- and was enjoying this vast
sound mingling with the echo in the hall.

When I finished Dalla sua pace, he looked at me in disbelief, and said "Oh
my god! that is huge!" He said that I need to audition for the opera
company immediately, and there's no way I won't get in if I sing like that.

I sang amor ti vieta next, which also felt incredibly easy. He actually
stopped the accompanist, and got him to play it a semitone higher!! He
stood there shaking his head as I finished the aria. I was as amazed as he
was.

You have to realise that i've only ever performed once before in public
singing like this (and that was a wedding)- and I'm not used to this sort of
reaction from people, let alone singers. Both times I have sung in public
since I debuted a few months ago (which i have been terrified of doing for
years) I have not only enjoyed myself immensely, but have had gobsmacked
people shaking me by the hand afterwards, so naturally, you can imagine how
excited I am.

I never EVER though I would get this reaction after years of negativity and
struggle.
Anyway, he asked if I was available later in the year, and I'm not sure now
if I want to do it. They tour constantly, and the toll on the voice I
imagine could be detrimental. What I would rather do (now that my path is
becoming clearer) is audition for the opera chorus here, then work towards
securing roles. I didn't realise just how big my voice is, and it just
seems to fill any space that I sing in. I was walking around on a high all
day yesterday. Today I'm off for another singing lesson, with my fabulous
teacher.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so excited by all this. I want to sing
everywhere now.

Mirko

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
16007 Re: Fantastic audition Erica Zweig   Thu  12/20/2001   3 KB
16009 Re: Fantastic audition Ian Belsey   Fri  12/21/2001   3 KB
16010 Re: Fantastic audition Ian Belsey   Fri  12/21/2001   2 KB
16014 Re: Fantastic audition Imthurn Melinda   Fri  12/21/2001   6 KB

emusic.com