Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Thu Dec 20, 2001  12:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help! I can't *find* my voice

>For a start it's been really hard work, I leave my lessons feeling as
>though I've been in the gym for two hours!!! What has happened now
>is that I can no longer "place" my voice. My teacher warned me that
>everything would go completely weird for a while and she's right!!!
>I just didn't realize it would be THIS weird!!!
>
>Has anyone else ever had this experience? . . . I've started going out of
tune unless
>I really really really concentrate, I find it harder to control
>volume and - she says this is a good sign - I can't stop yawning!!!!

I experienced the most profound growth in my voice over the shortest period
of time experiencing exactly what you describe. Give it a chance. It is
normal to experience a period of malorientation when new muscles are being
stimulated and strengthened. Singing is like ballet except that most
people don't spend the vocal equivalent of their time "at the bar" to do
the equivalent of dancing on point. It sounds to me like you are getting
expert training.

Best of luck.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com