Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "arado_ge" <arado_ge@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 19, 2001  2:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] ack! help!make me feel better!

I've been following this discussion for a while and if it's any
consolation, a friend of mine has no music background whatsoever
other than an AMAZING voice and was recently accepted into the
Scottish Academy of Music on the postgraduate Classical singer/opera
course!!

The little music history she knows is from me giving her my notes
from music college. A week ago I had to explain to her what a fugue
was and when she stared at me blankly holding a piece of Schoenberg
she has to learn, she got her first lesson on 12-tone technique!!

The majority of people on this list will have a much more solid music
basis than she has. To emphasize how bad it is, she wouldn't even be
able to tell you what key she was in but the IMPORTANT point is that
she has an amazing voice, incredible talent and she doesn't want to
be an academic, she wants to be a performer.

She is perfectly capable of learning and performing her pieces and
I'm sure you are too. I spent three years of music college learning
all the history and learning to write fugues and all that stuff and
do you think anyone cares now? I often regret that I ended up on
such an academic course because three years of writing fugues sure
didn't help me to play them better on the piano!!!!!

Follow your dream and focus on them: performing!!!!!!
Good luck!!!
Kirsty

emusic.com