Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "arado_ge" <arado_ge@y...>
"arado_ge" <arado_ge@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 19, 2001  2:00 pm
Subject:  Help! I can't *find* my voice

I recently started singing lessons with a teacher who has an
excellent reputation for instilling rock solid technique into her
students. In the last two months that I have been having lessons I
haven't learnt any new pieces but have just worked on exercises for
breathing, lowering the larynx, relaxing the tongue etc. etc.

For a start it's been really hard work, I leave my lessons feeling as
though I've been in the gym for two hours!!! What has happened now
is that I can no longer "place" my voice. My teacher warned me that
everything would go completely weird for a while and she's right!!!
I just didn't realize it would be THIS weird!!!

Has anyone else ever had this experience? I find that with breaking
down all my bad habits and building up technique, I can no longer
*find* my voice. For a start, I've started going out of tune unless
I really really really concentrate, I find it harder to control
volume and - she says this is a good sign - I can't stop yawning!!!!

Please, someone, tell me you've had the same experience and that it
doesn't last long!!!!

Kirsty

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15989 Re: Help! I can't *find* my voice peggyh@i...   Wed  12/19/2001   4 KB
15991 Re: Help! I can't *find* my voice Greypins@a...   Wed  12/19/2001   3 KB
15995 Re: Help! I can't *find* my voice Vicki Bryant   Wed  12/19/2001   3 KB
15998 Re: Help! I can't *find* my voice Ingo Duckerschein   Wed  12/19/2001   3 KB
16001 Re: Help! I can't *find* my voice michael.chesebro   Thu  12/20/2001   3 KB
16011 Re: Help! I can't *find* my voice Lana Mountford   Fri  12/21/2001   4 KB

emusic.com