Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Dec 17, 2001  6:05 pm
Subject:  Re:Wagner for baby singers (yes, I watched Cartoon Network last night)

And.... there's the duet "Return, My Love," music from "Tannhauser,"
lyrics by Michael Maltese, as sung in the classic short film "What's Opera,
Doc."

Heck, if Elmer Fudd could manage the male parts, I'm sure your friend can do
it justice.

>From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>From: Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
>Frankly, Wagner wrote very, very few true duets in any of his operas.
>Wagner's idea of a duet was one character singing at length, followed by
>another character singing at length, and the first character answering at
>length. There is precious little actual singing by two characters
>simultaneously in any of his operas, and when there is, it's almost always
>by an ensemble of same-sex characters, such as the Norns or the
>Walkuere (or by the chorus). In any case, the only real (and few and
>far between) Wagner duets (from opera and not) are sung by soprano and
>tenor.
>

>Karen Mercedes
>http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
>***************************************
>Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
>With their highly original sound.
>The pianos they played are still working,
>But they're both six feet underground.
> - Michael Palin

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado