Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sun May 14, 2000  10:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "s" in Jesus

Dear Laura,

Just to let you know about your 's' in Jesus. I
consulted a priest friend of mine and he told me that
it made absolutely no difference whether you voice the
's' or not! When I first learnt the piece myself, my
first singing teacher was insistent that I not sing
the 's'. I think it's a matter of changing style etc.
If you think about it, Eva Turner always referred to
Turandot as Turando(e)!

Kevin (The Priest) also said it was to do with Latin
as a proununciation akin to say English, where for
instance a Londoner does not sound the same as a
Liverpudlian. The same words, but sometimes
differently pronounced.

Hope that's of some help.

Best wishes,

Ian Belsey. Voice technician, Bromley, Kent, England.