Vocalist.org archive

From:  "stumke.jan" <stumke.jan@w...>
Date:  Sun May 14, 2000  9:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "s" in Jesus

I believe your choir director mixed up "Jesus" and "Jesu", both of which exist in Latin, "Jesus" being the nominative form and "Jesu" the vocative, genitive, or ablative (if I remember right). In German, we used to inflect names just like in Latin by changing the endings. Some random examples:
"das Herz JESU" (genitive)
"Gebt mir meinen JESUM wieder" (accusative)
"Herzliebster JESU, was hast du verbrochen?" (vocative)

And one example that doesn't involve Jesus:
"PaminEN retten!" (accusatve)

I believe that "Jesu" and "Jesus" (and even more so "Jesum"!!!) deserve different pronunciation!
Jan
emusic.com