Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "isbmusic" <ian@i...>
"isbmusic" <ian@i...>
Date:  Sun Dec 16, 2001  11:07 am
Subject:  voice coahcing help

Hi.

A colleague on another mailing list/newsgroup suggested that I write
here, so here goes...

I'm having trouble with one of my principals in a youth theatre group
which I MD. This guy has two main problems I can see, neither of
which I'm having much success with fixing.

Firstly, despite my best efforts he continues to sing through his
nose. I can't get him to sing a clean note. I've tried my usual hint
of getting him to say "aah" as if he were yawning or sighing, then to
put a pitch to it but that's not getting through. I've tried getting
him to picture the sound starting at the diaphragm and finishing in
the auditorium as a continuous flow, but he keeps stopping it with
his nose. Any other hints which may work? I think that his projection
problems would be solved, and the intermittent pitch problems eased
if he could grasp what it is I'm after.

Secondly, he's got it into his head that he can't do it, he's
panicking and losing all his breath on the opening note. (for those
familiar with the show, we're doing Godspell and he's not coping
with "Prepare Ye..."). Of course he thinks he can't manage it, so he
doesn't perform, so he thinks he can't manage.... It's a vicious
spiral. Any hints on increasing this lad's confidence would be great.
He's around 15-17 years, and is about the best male we have in the
group.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm covering a topic which has been
discussed to death...

Ian Black

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15930 Re: voice coahcing help Greypins@a...   Sun  12/16/2001   2 KB
15938 Re: voice coahcing help Kevin Hollis   Mon  12/17/2001   4 KB
15939 Re: voice coahcing help Sharon Szymanski   Mon  12/17/2001   3 KB

emusic.com