Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Dec 11, 2001  6:46 pm
Subject:  Firearm Songs

Among Britten's folksong arrangements is one called "The shooting of his
dear" about a hunter who shoots his girlfriend by accident.

In Britten's TIT FOR TAT cycle, he includes a setting of Walter de la
Mare's poem of that title, which I happen to like a lot, particularly the
line "Have you trod like a murderer through the green woods...?". As you
can imagine, it's a bit anti-hunting/anti-fishing in sentiment; not
exclusively about guns, but mentions them in the context of hunting.

Others:

Schumann: Zigeunerliedchen I, from LIEDERALBUM FUER DIE JUGEND, Op 79 #7i

Schumann: Die Loewenbraut, Op 31 #1

Schumann: Der Soldat, Op 40 #3 (or if you think this is too much Schumann,
Robert Franz also set the same text as his song "Mitten in Herzen" Op 52
#2)

Wolf: Unfall, from EICHENDORFF-LIEDER (#15)

Mahler: Revelge and Zu Strassburg auf der Schanz, from DES KNABEN
WUNDERHORN

Henze: The Electric Cop, from STIMMEN (#4)

Don't know if there's anything you can use from von Weber's DER
FREISCHUETZ - take a look.

I'll post more as I think of them.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com