Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Virginija Bruozis Muliolis" <virginia@m...>
"Virginija Bruozis Muliolis" <virginia@m...>
Date:  Mon Dec 10, 2001  8:45 pm
Subject:  RE:[vocalist] Comic Songs for Soprano

Hi Rachel,
in addition to the excellent suggestions already given by the other ladies,
here's one of my favourites- it's one of those songs that you REALLY have to
concentrate on as it is rather wordy, but mostly, concentration to keep
yourself from rolling on the floor with laughter!!
It's a song by Rodgers and Hart, titled 'To keep my love alive'- tres, tres
funny! It really showcases Hart's talent as a fabulously witty wordsmith.
It's about the very many loves this woman has enjoyed, and gives accounts of
how she manages to "keep her love alive'....here's just a little bit..

"Sir Thomas had insomnia, he couldn't sleep at night,
I bought a little arsenic, he's sleeping now all right...
Sir Philip played the harp, I cussed the thing.
I crowned him with his harp to bust the thing,
And now he plays where harps are just the thing, to keep my love alive..."

The second one is (and I can't recall if this one has already been
mentioned), 'Vanilla Ice Cream' from She Loves Me (Bock and Harnick)-really
fun to sing and a great showstopper!! I think it's in one of the Musical
Anthology collections.

What a fun theme for a recital, and I wish you continued luck in your
search!!

Virginia

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15880 Re: Comic Songs for Soprano Karen Mercedes   Mon  12/10/2001   2 KB
15881 Re: Comic Songs for Soprano Karen Mercedes   Mon  12/10/2001   2 KB
15883 Re: Comic Songs for Soprano Deal Diva Laura   Tue  12/11/2001   3 KB

emusic.com