Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "arado_ge" <arado_ge@y...>
Date:  Mon Dec 10, 2001  9:28 am
Subject:  Re: Head tone and Vibrato

Yet again I'm a bit late getting my few words in here because I've
been away but I feel I have to write because I understand completely
when it comes to the no vibrato part!! I've been working on this for
a while as well as head voice in my lessons so I hope I can offer
some words of wisdom.

Firstly, for the nasal head voice thing, the way I've been practising
is to sing a "ng" sound so that I can actually feel the vibration
behind my nose. Then, I work on singing scales, still with "ng" and
making sure that I have a constant vibration behind my nose evenly
the whole way through. Once that is mastered (takes a while) move
onto doing scales (or just 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1) on an "oo" (more
like "ah" actually .....) sound, still concentrating on feeling the
vibration on that point behind your nose.

The "oo" is where the vibrato comes into it. The way I've started
working on the vibrato it to think of my voice as just one long tube
going from my diaphram right up to that little point behind my nose,
not just throat to mouth. The tube has to be open and rounded all
along so loosen your lower jaw into a yawn position, slightly pulling
the jaw back at the same time and really feel your whole throat open
up into a round "oo" tube and then try singing "ah" through the tube,
pushing the air up directly from the diaphram. This seems to be
working for me at the moment.

I've started making up my own exercises to work on keeping the "tube"
completely open and relaxed and I'm finding that the vibrato is
really starting to come along while the head voice is also developing.

Since I'm writing way too much here for the whole list to suffer it,
if you find that any of what I've written works and you'd like to
know what sort of exercises I've been making up to work on that
open "tube" feeling, just write to me directly on arado_ge@y....

Kirsty

emusic.com