Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Sun Dec 9, 2001  12:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] One small step for mezzo...

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Vicki Bryant wrote:

> ...and one giant leap for this mezzo's self-confidence.
>
> Tonight I sang Messiah solos over an orchestra - and people told me
> they could hear me clearly!!!
>
> (And I get to do it again tomorrow). :)

Sounds like you've got just the right amount of brilliance in your sound -
which seems to be the key to being heard over the orchestra. Not as easy a
proposition as you'd think, particularly with the alto parts in Handel,
where you're singing mostly in a part of your range that isn't naturally
brilliant - i.e., below B4/C4.

I did my MESSIAH last weekend, including "He was despised". Last year's
best comment from an audience member on that aria was "I'm Jewish, but you
made me feel sorry for Jesus". This year's was almost as good: "That aria
was really depressing". I guess I'm doing something right!

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com