Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Dec 8, 2001  3:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head tone and Vibrato

Dear Ian and Vocalisters:

There are some things we do know about vibrato. Ian is correct in
suggesting that vibrato is a natural quality of a well sung tone. It
represents the balance between the antagonistic muscle systems that
should be in balanced opposition during singing. A tone without
vibrato is a symptom of a vocal production that is under duress, that
is, a vocal tone that is representative of an unnecessary tension
within the vocal mechanism such that the normal and healthy
antagonism between the musculatures of the vocal mechanism is
suspended or held in check. In my experience almost every situation
in which a singer produces a tone without vibrato is also a situation
in which the singer is producing an excessive control over the voice.
Type A personalities are the most common types to produce a tone sans
vibrato.

So . . . the correction is to help the singer develop a vocal
production that "allows" the voice to function rather than controls
the voice or "produces" the voice. I know this is absurdly
repetitive, but I have found no more effective teaching device than
to teach the singer how to produce a correctly balanced "onset" of
tone. Miller has the key on this one.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson
Flagstaff, Arizona

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15826 Re: Head tone and VibratoIan Belsey   Sat  12/8/2001

emusic.com