Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 7, 2001  11:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head tone and Vibrato

In a message dated 12/7/2001 4:34:47 PM Central Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> . When I do produce head tone it's shrill and very nasal.
>
> I have no vibrato to speak of...sometimes a throat vibrato (and I know
> that's not a good thing) My voice teacher tells me that vibrato comes from
> the "gut" well....if that's so I sure don't have a vibrato.

It's shrill and nasal because the larynx is rising shortening the vocal
tract, blocking the back of the throat, causing the velum to drop, opening
the velopharyngeal port allowing the sound to come out the nose, hence the
nasality. Don't worry about lifting the soft palate, if you get the larynx
at a neutral speech level or slightly lower it should stay up eliminating the
shrillness and nasality.

As far as vibrato being produced from the gut, that shows a misconception
about physiology. Vibrato is a neural impulse (a kind of relaxing agent
within a contraction). Vibrations in sync with the vibrato rate have been
shown in different places in different singers, including some in the
supporting musculature of the larynx. When you say throat vibrato, does that
mean it's fast in nature? Some individuals have faster rates, your teacher
may be prejudiced against a faster rate, your attempts to slow it down may
just impede it from happening at all resulting in straight tone.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com