Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Fri Dec 7, 2001  10:31 pm
Subject:  Head tone and Vibrato

Hi everyone!

I am studying opera, and as a novice I find that even with lessons each week I
am still having terrible problems with head tone. I spend at least half of each
30 minute lesson doing exercises to get into head tone. My teacher has
instructed me to try and exagerate that nasal sound to the point that it sounds
comical just to get an idea and a feel for how head tone happens. She says the
soft pallete is lifted and I must learn to control the lifting. I have been
reading Seth Riggs' book singing for the stars and he describes head tone coming
from "behind" the soft palette. Even while doing his head tone exercises..."Nay
nay nay" I find that I am STILL in the contralto range and I am thinking that I
won't make it in a mezzo range anytime soon. My voice teacher has also said
"contralto" Could this be because my tone isn't "freed up" enough? I have done
EVERY head tone exercise I could find...I have taken notes on every suggestion.
When I do produce head tone it's shrill and very nasal.

I have no vibrato to speak of...sometimes a throat vibrato (and I know that's
not a good thing) My voice teacher tells me that vibrato comes from the "gut"
well....if that's so I sure don't have a vibrato.

I am sort of discouraged, my voice teacher tells me I have a keen sense of pitch
but she really doesn't have anything else really great to say (other than I have
a sexy sound), I tell her the head tone concept is really hard for me and I
asked if other people just naturally have head tone, her reply made me feel sort
of lousy she said "some people just have naturally wonderful voices" to me this
meant *you are not one of those people* In the past she has told me that I have
a dark sexy kind of tone...I truly believe that she prefers brighter more shrill
sounding tone. She and I discussed this and she did say that as a young adult
her model was Julie Andrews and that she indeed favor that sort of tone. She
did admit that everyone has different preferences. I myself prefer Cecilia
Bartoli because her sound is so dark and rich. How does one produce head tone
and still sound rich?

I guess in a nutshell I am getting the feeling that because I cannot master head
tone that in the opinion of my voice teacher "I can't sing" I am older than a
majority of her students, I am too old for school age competitions, I am not
studying for a music degree...my goal was to learn opera technique and to sing
for friends at parties and other functions and to be a part of the local opera
groups in my area. I have had voice lessons as a teenager, I am 31 now and I am
fairly sure I actually CAN sing as a great majority of the people I know insist
I have a gorgeous voice. Mind you they are NOT voice teachers.

I don't know what to do about the lack of vibrato, I am mindful of keeping a
relaxed throat...I am mindful of tensions. The only thing I have produced thus
far is a vibrato my teacher says originates in the throat.

Maybe I should just take a lesson or two from someone else and get their
opinion. I pay the same price as the other "music majors and teenagers" but I
get the feeling that I am sort of all washed up. I am very serious about
wanting to learn, I practice everyday for at least 2 hours, I am ALWAYS
vocalized and ready to go at lessons...I feel that if I could get a grasp of
head tone and vibrato that I could be someone who's "got it" and not one of
those "that don't" (ha ha ha) I have been taking lessons for two months where
should I be now? What should I be able to master at this point?

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15814 Re: Head tone and Vibratobuzzcen@a...   Fri  12/7/2001
15818 Re: Head tone and VibratoIan Belsey   Sat  12/8/2001
15819 Re: Head tone and VibratoIan Belsey   Sat  12/8/2001
15820 Re: Head tone and VibratoLloyd W. Hanson   Sat  12/8/2001
15826 Re: Head tone and VibratoIan Belsey   Sat  12/8/2001
15835 Re: Head tone and VibratoJennifer   Sat  12/8/2001
15868 Re: Head tone and Vibratoarado_ge   Mon  12/10/2001

emusic.com