Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
"Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Fri Dec 7, 2001  5:41 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Digest Number 937

_Re:

This reminds me of another song. I'm not sure whether it would be
considered an art song or not since it's 20th century, but there's a song by
Lee Hoiby in his "Songs for Leontyne" called "The Serpent" which is about a
snake who learns to sing. It disturbs all the other animals who have to
listen to him so they try and find other instruments for him to take up
instead, but none of them interest him.

I don't know what the lowest note in the piece is, but I'm pretty sure that
the highest is an A above the staff. It's a lot of fun and can let you use
a different *voice* when you're singing the part of the snake.
> not ideal pieces for me vocally).

I've done this song -it's wonderful but fairly challenging. Technically for
high voice - Range is d-4 to Bb-5. Not a quick learn. Here's another
choice in the comic vein: Jake Heggie's "On the Roof" - written for
Frederica von Stade, so perfect for mezzo and more accessible. Wonderful
stuff. Hope this helps!

Sharon Szymanski

emusic.com