Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 7, 2001  6:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Threshold Breath Pressure

In a message dated 12/6/2001 10:36:48 PM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:
Greypins@a... writes:

> << In my opinion, the type of student you describe is more in need of
> learning the balanced onset and its resultant efficient, health vocal
> production than the student who aspires to a classical style of
> singing because the classical style of singing is more likely to lead
> the singer toward the healthy production (it is a more necessary
> requirement for this kind of singing). Mel Torme is a fine example
> of this; he was able to sing a classical style of vocal production
> with ease and demonstrated it frequently in his scat singing. >>

There tends to be a real tendency amongst classical singers and teachers to
attribute anything that they perceive as healthy singing as having its roots
in classical vocalism. However, from the data I'm familiar with (gathered
from surgical patients who suffered from mucosal lesions) the leading
disordered group was amateur classical singers.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com