Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Thu Dec 6, 2001  6:43 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] MED: back from the doctor's

The problem with information is trying to put it into context and
understand it based on experience. I have had too many patients refuse
to take needed medications because of unbalanced information on websites
or provided by a pharmacist.

It's really unlikely you will have significant side effects from
Zyrtec-D or Nasonex. If you feel as though you are a bit dry on the D
part of the Zyrtec you will be ready to stop it anyway in three days.
Nasonex in my experience can cause a little nasal stinging and with long
term (months) use, can cause mild nosebleed. Vocal side effects would
be very unusual.

Zyrtec can cause drowsiness and some people should not drive if they are
particularly susceptible. In fact, some studies show reduced reaction
time on sedating antihistamines even if you don't feel drowsy.

It's best to ask your doctor what to be concerned about since too much
information can be as bad as not enough. For example, if chocolate were
a medication, here is what the warnings would say: use of this product
should be avoided by diabetics and can result in weight gain, increased
blood sugar, palpitations, heart burn, diarrhea, hives, cough, nasal
congestion. Persons taking fluoroquinolones should avoid the use of
this product. It has been known to cause emotional effects.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

the Ceftin had the usual
> warnings about abuse of antibiotics, and the two others, Zyrtec-D
> and Nasonex (the dr. gave me the Zyrtec until the spray kicks in,
> 3 days from now, from what he said). The site said for the side
> effects on both:
>
> >>Throat irritation and dryness, cough, hoarseness and voice
> >>changes are all possible adverse reactions. Rarely, oral or
> >>nasal candidiasis may occur.
>
> I've read this before, but now that my career is beginning to
> expand (3 performances this weekend alone - fortunately two are
> more or less the same program), what do they mean by voice
> changes? A drop in pitch? Change of tone color?Temporary?
> Permanent? Does anyone have experience with all three meds
> at the same time? I plan on hydrating up the wazoo, of course.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lisa
> elisabethkisselstein@h...

emusic.com