Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  <peggyh@i...>
<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 6, 2001  4:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Am I behind?

therealmerryjest <promero@w...> wrote:
<<Hi everybody, I have been a voice student for about 4 semesters now, and here
is the list of my current repertoire

I am three semesters away from graduation... and I
feel I am very limited and rather behind. What do you think?>>

I agree with John Link, but I'll say it differently. No, you're not "behind"
because there's no such thing as "behind" when it comes to voice study, in my
opinion. At least if you are diligent in practicing and working as you and
your teacher agree to work.

In any event, the best person to ask this question of is your teacher, who
knows your voice and your vocal progress the best, and who also knows what the
academic expectations are in terms of requirements for your degree.

Now the concept "behind" might have validity in connection with a specific goal
that has a time attached to it. Such as - "My goal is to be accepted by a good
graduate school in 2003" Again, once you articulate that sort of goal, your
teacher is probably in a good position to help you answer the question. Or,
you can ask a different question of the list related to your goal - something
like: "What do you think a singer needs to do and be in terms of vocal
technique in order to [state the goal]?"

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com